- Because today tourism is one of the main economic activities and its impact on the hosting territories cannot be ignored
- Because there are more than one billion tourists travelling every year in the world
- Because tourism provides 200 million direct jobs which represent 8% of global employment
- Because it is 9% of the global GDP
- Because tourism is expected to grow exponentially in the coming decades, supported by the development of transport and communication
- Because tourism implemented without the compliance of the principles of sustainability, solidarity and social responsibility (especially with concerns to mass tourism) has often had very negative effects on the environment, the cultures, the societies and the local economies in hosting countries
It is therefore necessary for tourism development to establish specific limits and conditions for its development.
Responsible tourism proposes concrete solutions and alternatives to this situation keeping in mind the interests of the tourist, the local population and the tourism operators.